Joe is the Chair of the firm’s Personal Injury Group. Since entering private practice more than thirty years ago, Joe has tried and settled several wrongful death cases, along with cases dealing with all types of injuries. He understands the importance of respecting the dignity and desires of his clients at all times.
Prior to joining Cohen and Wolf, Joe was an Assistant District Attorney in Suffolk County, New York, as a member of the county’s Narcotics Bureau. He was Suffolk County's first attorney-in-charge of the East End Narcotics Task Force, a compilation of federal, state, county and town law enforcement officers investigating drug trafficking in the east end of Long Island. He tried more than 30 cases to verdict as a prosecutor.
One of Joe’s passions is coaching youth sports. He coached his 3 sons in baseball and basketball through their high school years. He still coaches in the Ridgefield Little League and the Ridgefield Basketball Association. As a member of the Ridgefield Community Coalition Against Substance Abuse since the group's inception in 2004, Joe is involved in helping young people try to stay clear of drugs and other risky behaviors.
Joe has been selected as a Connecticut Super Lawyer for his work in the area of Plaintiff’s Personal Injury. He has also been recognized for his work in Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Litigation in Best Lawyers in America, and is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Boston College Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1983
Manhattan College, B.S., summa cum laude, 1980
- New York
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers in America® , Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiff, 2015-2021
Connecticut Super Lawyers®, Personal Injury General-Plaintiff, 2009-2014, 2017-2020
Multi-Million Dollar Advocate
- Super Lawyers®, 10.17.2019
- Best Lawyers®, 08.15.2019
- Super Lawyers®, 10.18.2018
- Best Lawyers®, 08.15.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2017, 08.15.2016
- Best Lawyers®, 08.17.2015
- Benchmark Litigation, 11.05.2014
- Super Lawyers®, 10.17.2014
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.18.2014
- Connecticut Super Lawyers, 10.21.2013
- Connecticut Super Lawyers, 11.05.2012
- Benchmark, 11.21.2011
Connecticut Bar Association
Danbury Bar Association, Past President
Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors
Judicial District of Danbury Trial Referee and Factfinder
Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
American Association for Justice
Ridgefield Community Coalition Against Substance Abuse, 2004-present
Dorothy Day Hospitality House Soup Kitchen volunteer, 1995- present
Ridgefield Little League, Manager, past President & Board of Directors, Coach, 1995-present
Ridgefield Basketball Association, head coach, 1989-present
Sunrise Cottage, Board of Directors, 2012-2019
Ridgefield Chamber of Commerce, past Board of Directors
Ridgefield Babe Ruth Baseball, manager, 2003-2014
St. Mary’s CYO Basketball, head coach, 2002-2011
Disclaimer: Each case is unique and prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
• Successfully represented the estate of a young woman who was killed in a one-car motor vehicle collision when the young man driving the car went out of control and crashed. We assisted the family throughout both the criminal and civil process.
• Successfully represented a man who suffered very serious injuries when he fell from a stairway in a local mall. Although the mall denied liability, we proved that the railings on the stairs did not conform to code, and that our client would not have suffered these injuries otherwise, which enabled him to receive the compensation he needed and deserved.
• Successfully represented the estate of a young man who drowned while at a state park in Connecticut. The claim was brought against the state. We requested and won approval of a special legislative act from the state legislature to allow such an action to proceed.
• Successfully represented the estates of a couple from Connecticut killed in a motor vehicle collision in Florida. On behalf of their estates, which the firm established in Connecticut, we pursued both liability claims in Florida and claims for underinsured motorist coverage in CT, pursuant to an automobile insurance policy issued in Connecticut.
• Successfully represented the estate of a woman killed in a motor vehicle collision in New York, in which her sister was very seriously injured. On behalf of both clients, we pursued both a liability action in New York and claims for underinsured motorist coverage in CT, pursuant to an automobile insurance policy issued in Connecticut.
• Successfully represented many individuals, including children, bitten by dogs in separate incidents over the last few years. In some of these cases, the dog was unknown to our client; in other cases, the dog belonged to a neighbor or a relative. Most of these cases were settled prior to trial, while one case was the result of a successful jury verdict for our client.
• Successfully represented a laborer from New Jersey who, while working on the framing of a new hotel in Connecticut, slipped and fell on compacted ice and snow. Our client suffered significant injuries, required multiple surgeries. Through litigation followed by mediation, we were able to obtain compensation for our client for all his injuries.
• Successfully represented a young woman who was seriously injured as a rear-seat passenger in a one-car motor vehicle collision when a young man drove off the road and hit a tree. We defended a series of arguments through litigation; and eventually, with the assistance of mediation, were able to obtain a very favorable result for our client.
• Successfully represented Client who was passenger in terrible one-car motor vehicle collision in NY, and suffered traumatic brain injury. As part of the resolution of this case, we convinced driver’s parents’ homeowners’ insurance company that it was liable to contribute to the compensation to our client, along with the automobile insurance company.
• Successfully represented Client who suffered injury to her neck as result of massage at spa in CT. Client required surgery, and missed several months at work. Spa originally contested case and denied liability.
• Successfully represented Client seriously injured in one-car motor vehicle collision caused by drunk driver. We were able to collect compensation for our Client against the driver of the car, as well as the restaurant where the driver became intoxicated. The restaurant contested liability and responsibility throughout, but we were able to prove the restaurant and its bartender were responsible.