Cohen and Wolf, P.C.’s Personal Injury Group represents individuals who have sustained injury and losses as a result of the negligence of others, including motor vehicle collisions, dangerous premises, dog bites, fall downs and accidents at work, as well as all types of wrongful death actions. Attorneys in the Group regularly and successfully litigate personal injury matters in both state and federal courts in order to obtain maximum compensation for clients through trial, settlement, mediation or arbitration. The Group strives to help clients with all of our clients’ needs.
Attorneys and paralegals in the Group work directly with clients, and prioritize personal attention to and for all clients. We work diligently to assist clients in getting their medical bills paid, and tend to all the details that might otherwise preclude clients from returning to their normal routines.
Attorneys in this Group have been recognized in Connecticut Super Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation, and The Multi-Million Dollar Forum.
The Personal Injury Group is supported by experienced paralegals, as well as other members of the firm’s Litigation Group.
Some of our success stories:
- Successfully represented the estate of a young woman who was killed in a one-car motor vehicle collision when the young man driving the car went out of control and crashed. We assisted the family throughout both the criminal and civil process.
- Successfully represented a man who suffered very serious injuries when he fell from a stairway in a local mall. Although the mall denied liability, we proved that the railings on the stairs did not conform to code, and that our client would not have suffered these injuries otherwise, which enabled him to receive the compensation he needed and deserved.
- Successfully represented the estate of a young man who drowned while at a state park in Connecticut. The claim was brought against the state. We requested and won approval of a special legislative act from the state legislature to allow such an action to proceed. Once the matter reached the Superior Court, the Attorney General's office of the State of Connecticut filed a motion for summary judgment on the issue of recreational use immunity. We successfully defended that motion, and the Court allowed the action to proceed. Prior to trial, the parties settled the case for the benefit of the estate.
- Successfully represented a laborer from New Jersey who, while working on the framing of a new hotel in Connecticut, slipped and fell on compacted ice and snow. Our client suffered significant injuries, required multiple surgeries. The Defendants denied liability, and contested both the extent and causation of the injuries. The Defendants also claimed that they were not liable because another person (an independent contractor) was in charge of the construction jobsite. Through litigation followed by mediation, we were able to obtain compensation for our client for all his injuries.
- Successfully represented the estates of a couple from Connecticut killed in a motor vehicle collision in Florida. On behalf of their estates, which the firm established in Connecticut, we pursued both liability claims in Florida and claims for underinsured motorist coverage in CT, pursuant to an automobile insurance policy issued in Connecticut. Dealt with several insurance companies in Florida and Connecticut, and representatives of both in both states, and ultimately obtained the maximum amount of compensation available to our clients.
- Successfully represented the estate of a woman killed in a motor vehicle collision in New York, in which her sister was very seriously injured. On behalf of both clients, we pursued both a liability action in New York and claims for underinsured motorist coverage in CT, pursuant to an automobile insurance policy issued in Connecticut. We dealt with several insurance policies and various insurance companies in New York and Connecticut, and ultimately obtained the maximum amount of compensation available to our clients.
- Successfully represented a young woman who was seriously injured as a rear-seat passenger in a one-car motor vehicle collision when a young man drove off the road and hit a tree. Amongst other issues, the defendant's insurance company claimed that our client's compensation should be limited because she knowingly entered and rode in a vehicle when she knew that the operator did not have a proper license and was not in physical condition to drive. Successfully defended those arguments through litigation; and eventually, with the assistance of mediation, were able to obtain a very successful result for our client.
- Successfully represented many individuals, including children, bitten by dogs in separate incidents over the last few years. In some of these cases, the dog was unknown to our client; in other cases, the dog belonged to a neighbor or a relative. Most of these cases were settled prior to trial, while one case was the result of a successful jury verdict for our client.
- Successfully represented Client seriously injured in one-car motor vehicle collision caused by drunk driver. We were able to collect compensation for our Client against the driver of the car, as well as the restaurant where the driver became intoxicated. The restaurant contested liability and responsibility throughout, but we were able to prove the restaurant and its bartender were responsible.
- Successfully represented Client who suffered injury to her neck as result of massage at spa in CT. Client required surgery, and missed several months at work. Spa originally contested case and denied liability.
- Successfully represented Client who was passenger in terrible one-car motor vehicle collision in NY, and suffered traumatic brain injury. As part of the resolution of this case, we convinced driver’s parents’ homeowners’ insurance company that it was liable to contribute to the compensation to our client, along with the automobile insurance company.